Unlike property damage, that money can repair or replace, the loss of a human life leaves an indelible trace, a sadness and a grief in the family that can never be erased. A photo stands on the dresser of a living room where a child should be playing, and happy. Every birthday, every festive occasion is a sad reminder of what was, and will never be.
When it is a member of the family who has been responsible for drunk driving
causing death or injury, the family has to live with the shame and the guilt. If a father is imprisoned, the family loses support. Their social identity is lost and replaced – they become the family of a convicted felon – and might lose their house and home. This is most unfair to the children
who have to face their playmates at school every day – a parent is in prison, doing time, because he or she killed someone on the road.
Friendships can become strained or broken.
Meet society’s double standards:
- It’s ok to DUI – a lot of people do it.
- But if you cause an accident – you become a social pariah, you have broken the rules of the game.
However, research shows that people willing to risk drinking and driving
will do it more than once. Very rarely is a fatality caused by a drunk driver
who only ever drove drunk that one time. Most drunk drivers are regular offenders
– it is just a matter of chance whether their first contact with the law is before or after an accident that they have caused.
Family members and friends generally know if someone is drinking and driving
– and it is far better to deal with the problem before death or injury is inflicted. Professional intervention and support is available if you find yourself in the position that someone you care about is addicted to alcohol and is drinking & driving
, and refuses to stop.
understands that there is much denial about drinking and driving
– that often people who are alcoholics
refuse to see that they have a problem.
provides very effective drug-free alcohol detox and rehabilitation. If alcohol addiction is affecting your life, the Narconon Alcohol Rehab program can help
For more information about the long-term alcohol rehabilitation program of Narconon
, call toll free 1-877-782-7409